The choice of an adequate drug for the treatment of anxiety and anxiety-depressive disorders should be based both on the known mechanisms of the formation of anxiety syndrome and on the pharmacological characteristics of certain drugs.
Buspar (Generic) is used in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorders, panic disorder, vegetative dystonia syndrome and as an auxiliary treatment for alcohol withdrawal syndrome and depression.
This medicine takes a special place among all neuropharmacological agents and can be considered as a drug that combines the properties of anxiolytic and antidepressant. This profile of pharmacological activity is determined by a kind of complex mechanism of drug action.
The drug may be prescribed in case other drugs were ineffective or caused too many side effects. This medication is prescribed for generalized anxiety disorder.
In 1993, a study was conducted on the effect of the drug in 17 patients. Twelve patients were diagnosed with improvement. In 1997, a study in 30 patients revealed no improvement with placebo. Based on the results of the study, the drug is not recognized as the only treatment option for social anxiety disorder.
Indications for Use and Dosage
The dosage is prescribed individually for each patient, depending on the state of the disease. At the beginning of therapy, 5 mg of the drug three times a day is prescribed. To get the maximum therapeutic effect, the daily dosage is gradually increased to 20 ̶ 30 mg, which are divided into several separate doses. The maximum single dose should not exceed 30 mg. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 60 mg.
Note that food increases the bioavailability of medicine. Tablets should be taken at the same time of the day, without chewing, with a small amount of liquid, before or after meals. If it is necessary, you can divide the pill in half. It should be placed on a hard surface with the lineup and lightly press with your thumb.
During treatment, you should not immediately expect the effect to appear. The effectiveness of the drug is manifested in the period from the 7th to the 14th day of its intake. The maximum effect of the drug seems after about 120 days of treatment.
In case of skipping the drug, it is recommended to take it as soon as possible. When the time has come to take the medication, you should not use it along with the missed pill. Take only the prescribed, do not take two doses at the same time.
The opportunity of combining with other medicines is possible only under the close supervision of a doctor and with the following medications.
antipsychotic and hypoglycemic drugs and oral contraceptives.
The Peculiarity of Usage for Patients of Older Age
In this age group, there is no need to adjust the dose, but it should be used with caution. This is because there is a risk of reducing the functioning of the kidneys and liver. There is an increased sensitivity to the side effects of the drug. In such a category, patients should be prescribed the lowest but effective dose, and in case of an increase in dose, careful medical monitoring of the patient should be carried out.
It is worth paying attention that not in all cases of diagnosing anxiety, irritability, and sleep disorders it is necessary to take it and this medication can be prescribed. In some cases, these are symptoms of more complex psychomotor disorders.
- The drug should be used with caution simultaneously with antipsychotics, antidepressants, cardiac glycosides, antihypertensive and antidiabetic agents and oral contraceptives.
- It is not recommended to apply this medicine to children and persons who are under 18 years of age.
- In case of renal and hepatic insufficiency of mild to moderate severity, liver cirrhosis is prescribed in smaller doses and under the strict supervision of a physician.
- It is forbidden to use alcohol during the treatment, as the mixture of alcoholic beverages and medicines increases the effect on the central nervous system. However, it should be noted that this may cause more severe consequences, such as:
slow or shortness of breath;
impaired muscle control;
- It must be remembered that any anxiety or tension that arises with everyday stress does not require drug treatment.
- It is worth noting that there are prescribed contraindications that can provoke the development of side effects.
- The drug is prohibited to use in patients with epilepsy or with syndromes that cause a tendency to develop seizures. Therapy for this category of patients is dangerous and should be carried out with the use of other drugs.
- During treatment, one should refrain from exercises that are associated with the need for concentration and swift psychomotor reactions. At the beginning of treatment, it is necessary to refuse driving of vehicles. People whose profession is associated with increased density of attention should also remember this precaution.
- The drug is not applicable for the treatment of abstinence syndrome, which is caused by the use of benzodiazepines. For this reason, before the start of treatment with this drug, you should gradually stop taking anxiolytic drugs and only then should you begin therapy with this drug.
- There are no data on the results of influence during pregnancy and lactation. The medication can only be prescribed by a doctor and under medical supervision. The drug can penetrate breast milk, so breastfeeding during treatment should be discontinued.
- Patients who frequently abuse drugs and have a history of drug addiction should be treated under the strict supervision of a specialist. There were no researches of treating patients with drug addiction with the help of Buspar.
- Cases of Overdose and Side Effects of the Drug
In the event of an overdose, the following conditions may occur:
the occurrence of dizziness;
the condition of miosis;
the manifestation of increased fatigue;
problems with the functioning of the stomach.
If symptoms of overdose occur, gastric lavage is performed, pulse, respiration and blood pressure are constantly monitored. Then symptomatic treatment is carried out.
As a rule, side effects occur at the beginning of treatment and usually decrease with prolonged use. In some cases, a dose reduction is necessary. During the use of the drug, the following negative states may appear:
the occurrence of short-term syncope and fainting states;
the appearance of pain in the chest with a non-specific character;
the condition of tachycardia, hypotension or hypertension;
symptoms of heart failure;
circulatory problems in the brain;
the occurrence of myocardial infarction;
the state of bradycardia and cardiomyopathy;
the manifestation of anxiety, nightmares, sleep disorders;
the emergence of emotional arousal, hostile feelings;
depression, frequent sleepiness; events of frequent dizziness;
increased irritability; the state of confusion;
increased perception of sounds;
state of hyperkinesia, apathy;
the expression of hallucinations;
epileptic condition; massive associative understanding;
manifestations of suicidal seizures;
memory problems; the state of stupor, psychosis;
the occurrence of serotonin syndrome; speech problems;
problems with coordination of movements;
state of tremor, paresthesia, a manifestation of spontaneous movements;
problems with tone; the sign of fever, lethargy;
problems with visual functions; redness and itching in the eyes, conjunctivitis,
the sensation of pain in the eyes, a sense of sadness in the ears may appear;
sometimes can cause a nose, sore throat;
breathing may become frequent, dyspnea and nosebleeds may occur;
urination problems – delayed or premature;
the manifestation of the state of myalgia, arthralgia, myasthenia;
the occurrence of ringing in the head;
violation of taste;
frequent ailments, fatigue;
state of hyperhidrosis, cold hyperesthesia; the manifestation of a tendency to
increased consumption of alcoholic beverages;
the happening of problems with the menstrual cycle;
may decrease or increase the level of libido;
inflammation of the urinary organs;
a change in the blood may occur;
the appearance of tinnitus; nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, retching,
decrease or increase in appetite, the presence of blood in the rectum;
edema, hyperemia, alopecia, eczema, urticaria, pemphigus, hematomas, and
various allergic reactions may appear on the skin.
In the event of any of the listed side effects, you should consult a doctor. If there are increased drowsiness, apathy, fatigue and general weakness, then you should stop taking the drug or have to reduce the daily dosage.
- General Recommendations
If you plan to visit the dentist or take any other drugs, you must inform the doctor.
If you are going to have an operation during the drug treatment, during which you will need an anesthetic, be sure to inform your doctor.
When planning or having a pregnancy, it is necessary to stop taking the drug and consult a doctor.
Do not give the drug to anyone without a doctor’s prescription.
It is not recommended to eat grapefruit or grapefruit juice during the treatment.
Infrequent cases, the symptoms return after discontinuation of this drug. In a chronic anxiety disorder, it makes sense to take the medication for a long time to establish control over the symptoms. A doctor can only prescribe it.
Do not self-medicate and do not change the regimen prescribed by your doctor!